As a fire broke out in a restaurant for the second time in 2015 one of the staff, a pizza chef, took it upon himself to attempt to put it out. The fire in South Woodford was attended by fire crews and the chef was taken to hospital after suffering burns, a bang to his head and smoke inhalation.
Upon inspection it was believed that a build up of oil and fat in the ducting of the restaurants extraction system was to blame for the fire. Flats and businesses around the restaurant were also affected by the fire which took around two hours to be put out and left the extraction ducting destroyed.
Advise from the fire service after the fire went out to all restaurant owners to ensure that their extraction systems were cleaned frequently and by professionals to ensure a repeat of this example did not occur.
The build up of fat and oil in ducting is highly flammable and this fire shows the results of letting them build up.
Simply by ensuring all commercial kitchen ducting had been cleaned by a professional company to TR19 standards this incident could have been avoided.
If you are a cleaning company looking to improve your service and clean to TR19 standards then click here to view our product range and see how we can ensure you are exceeding TR19 standards and winning more business.
Information and photo taken from: http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/13638354.Pizza_chef_injured_after_tackling_second_blaze_at_kebab_restaurant/